Start a Great Career in Technology
Have you always been interested in computers and other information technology? If you want a good-paying job that’s in high demand, the tech industry should be on the top of your list. In fact, careers in technology are predicted to steadily increase in demand and salary over the next 6 to 10 years. Best of all, the chances of advancement are high, along with steady increases in salary with gained experience.
Beginning in January 2017, Goodwill Central Texas will offer the Careers In Technology Program (CiT), a series of courses to give students the necessary skills to begin a career in Information Technology. This program is FREE for approved participants. The first course, A+/Network+, is specifically crafted with a focus on high-demand IT occupations such as Computer Support Specialist.
The CiT Program was made possible through a TechHire grant, which was awarded to Goodwill earlier in 2016 by the Department of Labor. The grant will allow Goodwill to train almost 200 individuals with the necessary skills to begin an IT career.
Goodwill is currently recruiting for our first class, scheduled for Monday, January 23rd through April 20th. Classes will be held at The Goodwill Career and Technical Academy (1015 Norwood Park Blvd.), Monday-Thursday, from 4 pm-9 pm.
The Careers in Technology Program includes:
- Earn credentials to enter the IT field (A+ and Net+ certifications through CompTIA) in six months;
- Tuition, books, on site labs, practice exams, exam certification fees and job placement assistance;
- Morning and evening class schedules;
- Career navigation support for student success
Careers in Technology Program requirements:
- Must be 17-29 years of age (certain exclusions apply)
- Must live in Travis or Williamson Counties
- Must have a GED or High School Diploma
More TechHire grant program details:
- 195 people will be served within the next 48 months
- 75% of students must be 17-29, 25% can be over 29
- Target population will include people:
- Who have disabilities
- With limited English proficiency
- Who have criminal backgrounds
- Who are unemployed
- Who have been dislocated
- Who are under-employed
- Training will be A+ and Network + utilizing COMPTIA curriculum
For more details about the TechHire grant, visit our previous blog: https://www.goodwillcentraltexas.org/blog/post/goodwill-central-texas-a-winner-of-techhire-partnership-grant