We’re all winners in this Marathon!
Ready, set…and they’re off!
This was the moment we’d been waiting for! We sprang into action, running, stopping, picking up, repeating.
Wait, what kind of race WAS this??? It was The Goodwill Central Texas’ Austin Marathon Clothing Sweep!
Collecting Discarded Clothing Along The Route
Once the runners were into their race, we swooped in and got their cast off clothing to recycle. As marathoners were running from the early morning start and into the muggy heat of the day, they began to shed their extra clothing throughout the course. And our wonderful volunteers were there to sweep in and pick them up!
Funds Collected Help all of Central Texas
What happens to all that gear? Every piece of clothing that is “rescued” from the first 1.5 miles of the 26-mile route is donated to Goodwill Central Texas and is sent to our Goodwill Resource Outlet. This year, with the help of our volunteers, we recovered over 325 pounds of clothing! The funds generated go towards our education, career training, and job-readiness – helping achieve our vision of empowering 100,000 Central Texans to transform their lives through work, lifting them and their families out of poverty and creating true generational change!
Now Collect Some Trivia about the Marathon
- This was the 26th year of the Austin Marathon.
- There were more than 14,000 runners in this year’s Marathon.
- Participants came from all 50 states, and there were 250 runners from other countries.
- The “starting line” actually stretched four city blocks long because of the number of race entrants.
- The Austin Marathon has won numerous awards, including Top 10 Half Marathons in the World, and one of 15 Bucket List Marathons in the U.S.
- The 26-mile route takes runners through unique Austin neighborhoods and past many recognizable landmarks.
- The Austin Marathon offers several distances to travel in the race, for all levels of participation – run, jog, or walk!
- There were more than 2,000 volunteers, over 10,000 spectators, 27 charities, and more than 200 public safety staff on hand for this race alone.
A big thank you goes out again to all of our Goodwill Clothing Sweep volunteers! And finally, a big shout-out to everyone at High Five Events and the Austin Marathon/Half Marathon for allowing us to participate. We are grateful for the opportunity!